I made these little custards in ramekins and they were the silkiest, smoothest little custard cups ever. I was so impressed.
With the amount of eggs, I expected an eggy flavour and texture, but no, they were seriously so GOOD!
No dairy, no sugar, Paleo- this recipe does not get any better.
It took me about 2 minutes to get it on the stove and I stirred it, in between doing a few chores. It was ready to pop in the oven in no time, and after 35 minutes, the smoothest and creamiest little puddings came out.
INGREDIENTS (for plain custard):
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
Chocolate custard: (as above, plus add)
- 3 tablespoons cacao powder
- Tiny sprinkle of salt
This recipe is more ‘dark’ chocolate flavoured, if you want something a bit sweeter, add some more maple or even some honey.
- Make sure eggs are at room temperature. Whisk all together in a bowl until well combined.
- On very low heat, add coconut cream, maple syrup, and vanilla to a pan and constantly stir until just simmering.
- While whisking quickly, very slowly combine coconut mixture into egg mixture.
- Fill a deep sided baking pan ¾ with water. Fill ramekins with custard mixture and place into pan. Should fill roughly four dishes.
- Bake at 180 degress celcius until there is no jiggle left in the custard when shaken.
- This should be roughly 30-45 minutes. Remove and let cool then chill and enjoy.
Tip: Try not to over bake here. The custard may become scrambled and less smooth and creamy.
Other variations could include cinnamon, berries, plain vanilla, rum and raisin… the possibilities here are endless. Make it your own and let us know what you come up with!