These are so quick and easy and reminiscent of my mum’s ‘Jam Drop Bikkies’, which were always a hit. Perfect for morning tea, school lunches or a quick snack.
If you don’t have time to make the filling, use an organic jam or any filling really (you could even add a chocolate spread).
I didn’t have time to take photos as I went, with this recipe. But it is so so easy! Throw all the cookie ingredients in a bowl, mix. Cook filling on the stove. Form biscuits with the dough and fill with jam!
I also make my own Almond flour, by grinding raw almonds in a food processor until they have the desired consistency. These are a great gluten free biscuit, that have cut out allergens, such as refined sugar, dairy, gluten and eggs.
- 2 cups Berries
- 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup Water
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1-2 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- 2 cups Almond Flour
- 1 cup Arrowroot Powder (or a plain gluten free flour)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ⅓ cup Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup Organic Coconut Oil, melted
- In a medium sized sauce pan, add the blueberries, syrup, water, lemon juice, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Bring filling to a boil over medium heat, while stirring. Continue to stir frequently, while “mashing” the filling with a wooded spoon.
- Once the liquid has reduced, turn heat down and add arrowroot powder. Stir continuously until thickened. Remove from heat and set aside for filling the cookies. Can add additional ½ cup blueberries if desired.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the almond flour, arrowroot/gluten free flour, and salt.
- Add in the vanilla extract, maple syrup, and melted coconut oil. Stir until all ingredients are combined and you have a ball of cookie dough. **You can use your hands for this as well.
- Prepare a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Take a small ball of dough and roll until about the size of a ping-pong ball.
- Place on cookie sheet and press thumb into center making a well with your thumb print.
- Add about a teaspoon (give or take) of filling to the center of the cookies.
- Repeat until all dough has been used.
- Place in the oven and bake cookies for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.
- **Any remaining filling can be refrigerated or frozen and saved for future use.